Close your eyes and imagine you’re lying on a beach. The waves are waxing and waning gently in front of you as the calming calls of seagulls crack above.
Now, let me add something here that’s as alarming as a shark attack to many Realtors: there’s no cell or Internet service. If that suddenly makes you sweaty and anxious, keep reading – this article is especially for you.
If you’re like most Realtors I’ve met, your vacations often look like this: your family is frolicking at the pool and on the beach while you are holed up in your hotel room on the phone in front of your laptop tying up loose ends of your latest deal. I hate to break it to you, but that’s not a vacation. That’s simply working where a lot of other people are vacationing.
So answer these two questions: If you were to go on a vacation with no cell or Internet service, could your business still run? And, if you were to take, say four vacations a year, would you be able to make more money than you would without taking any vacations?
I’m glad you’re reading this article because it has the potential to change your life and give you the answers to these questions: yes – to both!
The key to answering the second question with a yes is to first make sure you can answer yes to the first one.
Let me share a quick story about one of my clients, Andrew Duncan. When I first met him, he was working seven days a week and hadn’t had a vacation in five years. He was selling about 60 houses a year. Today he works four days a week and sells roughly 700 homes annually.
How’d that happen? First, he gave up his belief system that it couldn’t be done. He then committed to making it a reality. I always say your whole life changes the day you make a commitment. It’s true. It’s true in Andrew’s case and it’s true for all of my clients.
Here are the key steps to take to put more money in your bank and more time on your favorite beach:
1. Examine your belief system. What do you truly believe is possible in terms of how much time you spend working versus the return on that time? Then commit to challenging any limiting beliefs.
2. Plan your ideal picture. Look into the future and get specific about what you want your ideal life to look like.
3. Get accountable. Sit with your family and plan your life with them. This inserts a must – it’s called accountability. You have to have it to succeed. You need someone to hold you accountable so that you stay on track.
4. Begin building a team. I’ve come to realize most Realtors are an independent lot. Those who remain that way seldom if ever reach top-producer status. Why? Because they think they’re the only ones who can do the work. Explore what a team could do for you. Trust me, a good team can do a lot!
5. Develop an ideal weekly schedule. In making your dreams come true it always comes down to doing the right things every day. An ideal weekly schedule will help you do exactly that.
Let me hear from you. Is your belief system holding you back and unintentionally limiting your professional life as a Realtor or broker? Are you being held accountable for your business right now? If not, why not?
Bob Corcoran, national speaker and author, is founder of Corcoran Consulting Inc. (800-957-8353), an international consulting and coaching company specializing in performance coaching and implementing sound business systems into residential brokers’ existing practices. Contact Bob at “Article at CorcoranCoaching dot com”.